SUMMARY: Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Festival Coordinator will take FULL responsibility for the successful production of our April 2014 outdoor community event called the Festival of Readers. In addition to producing every aspect of the event, the Coordinator is responsible for shaping the tone and atmosphere of the Festival to maintain its reputation as an exciting and inspirational event that promotes the joy of reading, family bonding and the importance of parent involvement in children’s school success. The Festival, to be held on a community college campus includes entertainment, activities, vendors, food and prizes and attracts and will be attended by hundreds of community members.
HOURS: Independent Contractor or Company is welcome to apply
Part-time position (approx. 15 to 20 hours/wk) available immediately; approximately 12 weeks (until or around May 1, 2014) and will include some evenings and weekends
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING: • Local organization, production, implementation and supervision of all facets of a full scale all-day outdoor event
• Recruit local partner agency participation
• Develop an agenda of performances to include local cultural dance groups, musicians, singers, storytelling groups, raffle prizes and guest appearances by local officials and celebrities
• Secure participation by 20-25 local vendors to include:
o Local libraries and bookstores/booksellers
o Children’s yoga and exercise
o Child focused agencies (for ex., groups that provide ID cards for children
o Children’s nature organizations
o Artists that provide face painting and balloon animals
o Development and organization of art activities including hat, instrument and book making
o Development and production of event branded collateral materials including T-shirts, tote bags, flashlights, bookmarks, flashdrives, etc.
o Additional activities that are family and child focused
• Coordinate all aspects of the Festival and oversee volunteers and partner agencies
• Coordinate furnishings, fixtures, equipment, tents, food service, décor as well as high quality and unique signage
• Act as point person during the event to coordinate Festival set up/strike, volunteers, rentals, deliveries, signage, etc.
• Oversee and facilitate the COMPLETE strike of Festival equipment, tents, rentals, signage, all supplies and take responsibility for leaving the venue clean and clear of all Festival items
• Other duties as assigned
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: • Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Exceptional organization skills
• MUST have experience securing vendors, coordinating performance/program agenda, recruitment and have an excellent track record for managing volunteers
• Knowledge, coordination and supervision expertise for all pre-event participant registration and post-event participant exit registration
• Skills that include securing participant gift bag give away items and raffle items
• MUST have a passion for working in event planning industry, have a great sense of humor, be personable, easy to get along with, unflappable and have the desire to work tirelessly to create a fabulous outcome
• Must perform other duties as assigned
• Must have a car, be able to drive, have a valid CA driver’s license, and current auto insurance
• Satisfactory completion of all background screening requirements
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to:
Ms. Wynn Helms
Director of Human Resources
Email: email@example.com Please include in the subject line the name of the position you are applying for.